Baked Meatball Pasta
Baked Pasta with Italian Chicken sausage and Grana Padano – Serves 6ppl
1 Bag La Molisana Cavatappi Pasta
1 Jar Alberto's Fresh Tomato Sauce
4 Chicken Italian Sausages
250 Gr Grana Padano
100 ml Extra Virgin olive Oil
What you will need:
Fresh Basil (2oz)
Equipment you will need:
- Remove the sausage from the casing then shape into golf ball sized balls.
- Place a pot of water suitable for cooking the pasta on high heat until the water boils. Season the water with salt until the pasta tastes like “sea water”
- While the water is boiling, place a sauce pan on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of vegetable oil to the pan and wait until the oil is just starting to smoke.
- Carefully place the meatballs into the pan and sear until golden brown on all sides. Then remove and set to the side
- Drain the oil to the side and then add the tomato sauce to the pan and bring to a simmer.
- Place the meat balls back into the pan and cover for 10-15 minutes or until the meat balls are almost fully cooked.
- While the meat balls are cooking, cook the pasta in the boiling water (8-10 minutes)
- Drain the cooked pasta, but reserve 1 cup of the water to add to the sauce
- Combine the pasta, pasta water, meatballs and the sauce in a pot. If you have basil add approximately 2 oz of hand torn basil.
- Grate 50% of the Grana Padano into the pasta mixture and stir to incorporate
- Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and add shredded mozzarella on top of the pasta. Grate the remaining Grana Padano over top and place into a 375F (350 F convection) oven for 15 minutes or until the pasta is bubbling and golden brown on top.